This article is outdated.
We have moved our support docs to a new location.
Please click here to go to our new support docs.
Text Formula Fields are fields with automatically generated values based on a defined formula. There are many use cases for this type of field throughout the app.
- The Name for your text formula field will help define what this field represents.
- Descriptions can be a good tool to keep track of further information to describe the field.
- The Formula for the field must be defined for the value to be generated upon record creation/edit. Read ahead for further information on the Formula portion of this field.
The Formula portion of the Text Formula Field can be broken down into 3 key components as follows:
- Add the text value from a field in your record or Add custom text.
- Reorder or Delete components.
- Preview your formula.
An example of how we can use this field is a route field based on a user-defined origin and destination. The result we will accomplish in this example will allow you to reference the origin and destination while also using the generated route on the front end.
We start with a simple table with three fields Origin, Destination, and Text Formula (to act as a route).
Now we can configure the Formula. We begin with adding the Origin.
Then we can add custom text between the Origin and Destination.
Lastly, we add the Destination. At this point, we can view the components of the Formula that can be reordered or deleted. In addition, we can observe the preview to ensure the Formula will generate the intended value.
To test out your Formula, create a simple form with the Origin and Destination fields.
Then, you can confirm your results and begin using the values throughout your app!